Monday, May 5, 2008

HUMMINGBIRD SIGHTING


Lee, a sweet lady at my church, keeps track of when she sees her first hummingbird every year. She saw this year's first hummer on April 24. After years of wanting to, I finally took the plunge and put up my own feeder. My mother-in-law gave me her old feeder, I found a recipe for homemade nectar on the good old world wide web and hung the thing up last week. Nate was eating breakfast this morning and said, "Hummingbird!" I ran to the kitchen and got to see him or her fly away. I don't know what kind it was, a Ruby-throated, Rufous, Calliope, Green Violet-ear, or Anna's, but am keeping a watchful eye and am excited to learn about these fascinating creatures! Did you know that Hummers are fully capable of traveling astounding distances on their own wings; it is generally accepted by scientists that most Ruby-throats fly non-stop across the Gulf of Mexico in the spring, and probably in both directions! My pappy had a hummingbird feeder and he sat on his back porch swing so much that the little guys got used to him and they would land on his finger! So cool! My dad has several feeders in his backyard at it is a sight to behold watching 5 or 6 hummers at once fighting over the feeders. I hope to be able to capture a picture of one at my feeder, but will have to be satisfied with a free Internet picture for now. I am my grandfather and father's daughter. I've got the bird feeder, outside thermometer and a weather radio. All I need is a bug zapper and a garden and I'll be in business!
~Nate's Mom

1 comments:

Ronda said...

Birds are truly fascinating! Corey has a couple of feeders and he is teaching me so much! I am learning to enjoy all of the beautiful birds that God has created! Fun post...