Thursday, February 21, 2008

Another Home Run

Lately it seems that this is turning into a cooking blog! To those of you who hate to cook or are looking for my words of wisdom, I'm sorry! I will try to do better. Being the SAHM that I am, my days seem to be filled with the same thing over and over again. I'm not complaining! I love my life! I often tell my husband that I'm spoiled rotten. I am doing exactly what I want to do, what I was called to do, and that is being a wife and mom and it is just great! I have nothing much to say about the election. Well, that is not entirely true! I have a lot to say but in deference to all you Huckster's out there who feel you are getting a black eye every time you open up my page and see things like, "Mitt Romney for President" or "Evangelicals for Mitt" or "Tax Hike Mike", I'm going to refrain. I have no candidate at the moment and am prolonging my agony by keeping those links on the site. Let me live in my fantasy world for a while.

I said all that to tell you we've had another Home Run from the Cuisine at Home magazine. Oven Fried Chicken is the winner this time. It was melt in your mouth good! Try it when you have some time, it is a little bit of work but the results are worth the effort!





Oven-Fried Chicken from Cuisine At Home
Makes: 8–10 PiecesTotal Time: 2–3 Hours

For the Brine—
Dissolve:
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 cups hot water

Add:
4 cups ice cubes

Prepare:
8 –10 chicken pieces (thighs, legs, and breasts), skin removed, pierced

For the Coating—
Combine:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 –3 T. black pepper
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. paprika

Beat:
2 egg whites

Add:
1 cup buttermilk (I used sour milk, 1 T vinegar and enough milk to make 1 cup)

Heat:
3 T. vegetable oil


Dissolve salt and sugar for brine in hot water in a large container. Add ice and stir to cool mixture. Prepare chicken pieces by removing the skin and piercing the meat with a knife. Add to brine and refrigerate for 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Preheat oven to 450°. Coat a 4-quart Pyrex baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Combine flour, pepper, salt, and paprika in a large, heavy bag. Remove chicken pieces from the brine and lightly pat dry. Place a few pieces into the bag of seasoned flour and toss to coat. Shake off excess flour and place on a rack. Let sit 10 minutes. Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Add buttermilk and stir gently. Dip floured chicken pieces into the egg white-buttermilk mixture. Put the dipped pieces back into the seasoned flour bag. Shake gently and transfer to the rack. Repeat with remaining chicken. Heat oil in the prepared Pyrex dish by placing it in the oven for 5 minutes. Set the prepared chicken pieces, meaty-side down, into the hot Pyrex dish; roast for 30 minutes. Remove dish from the oven and carefully turn the pieces over. Return to the oven and roast 20 minutes more. Remove chicken from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before serving.

~Nate's Mom

4 comments:

krisanddrew said...

that looks so good. I don't like to take the time and actually cook, but that looks worth the time. And I agree about the beach. When do we leave? :)

Gayle said...

That looks way better than my Skyline chili I had tonight:)

Tim and Kristina said...

The chicken looks great! I'll have to try that with all the spare time I have these days....at least for 11 more wks!!

Ronda said...

It's fine with me for this to turn into a cooking site...I think that you are doing a fabulous job of displaying and sharing all these recipes! They all sound great! I've printed off several and plan to try them! You are doing a great job at being a wife and mother! Good for you! You all also have the added benefit of being naturally thin! That is a blessing when you love to cook! ha! Have a great day!