Monday, August 20, 2007

Endurance

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
en·dur·ance
/ɛnˈdʊərəns, -ˈdyʊər-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[en-door-uhns, -dyoor-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1.
the fact or power of enduring or bearing pain, hardships, etc.
2.
the ability or strength to continue or last, esp. despite fatigue, stress, or other adverse conditions; stamina: He has amazing physical endurance.
3.
lasting quality; duration: His friendships have little endurance.
4.
something endured, as a hardship; trial.
[Origin: 1485–95;
endure + -ance]
—Synonyms 1. See
patience.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

You are probably wondering, "Why in the world does she have a dictionary definition at the beginning of her post?" Well, I'm glad you asked. Saturday, I witnessed a lot of people exhibit this amazing quality. Most notably my dearest friend in the world, Wilma. What did these people do? The Midwest Ohio Triathlon - 500 meter swim, 17 mile bike ride and a 3.2 mile run! It was amazing. The event began early in the morning before the sun came up. The air was chilly and the pool was outside. All age groups were there and they all had one thing in mind, FINISHING! I was so proud of my friend! Did she come in first? No, did she break any records, No. After all, this was her first Triathlon! But what did she do? She had endurance - the ability or strength to continue or last, esp. despite fatigue, stress, or other adverse conditions; stamina! Wilma is always inspiring me to do more and to be better. Not only physically but spiritually. I want to have endurance in my Christian walk. No matter what obstacles come my way, with God's help I will endure! I will go forward. I will finish the race. Because the prize is worth it all!

1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1 & 2


Congratulations are also in order for Shane and Mark. They too finished this race! Sorry no pictures today, left my camera in Shane's truck and will try to post them tonight or tomorrow.

KEEP RUNNING!
~Nate's Mom

2 comments:

Gayle said...

WOW! Congratulations Wilma! Thank you Michele for that GREAT POST. No matter what we go through we must continue the race. It is so easy to give up but I am going to make it no matter what others do!
Love you so much!
Mom

Lavy Country said...

Good thing I'm on vacation and have all this time to catch up on Blogville. You made my day -- you're the bestest ever. Thank you for being there and cheerin' me on.