Saturday, January 26, 2008

Watch Out McDonald's

I don't consider myself to be the best cook in the world. I sure didn't get my mom's genes when it came to the culinary arts. I got the eating genes and the gaining weight genes from my wonderful dad. Funny how things work out that way. But I've digressed, I do love to cook and I have been forever trying to make the perfect biscuit. They are usually crumbly, flat, little discs. I was browsing through an old Family Circle cookbook the other day and found a picture and recipe for Baking Powder Biscuits. They looked wonderful. When the boys woke up this morning and decided they wanted breakfast sandwiches I remembered the recipe I had found and decided to give it a whirl. The results were amazing and I was so proud of these biscuits that I just had to post a picture. I really need to learn how to take food pictures. As I was trying to get the perfect shot dear hubby said, "Would you please hurry, food is for eating, not taking pictures." So here they are, Bacon and Egg Biscuits by McChele!

Baking Powder Biscuits
The Family Circle Encyclopedia of Cooking
Bake at 450 for 12 minutes.
Makes 12 biscuits. (My batch only made 6, they were big)

2 cups sifted all purpose flour (Sift then measure)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup milk

1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
2. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles cornmeal. Preheat oven to 450.
3. Add milk; stir lightly with a fork until a soft, puffy dough forms.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly about 20 times.
5. Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness. cut into 2 inch rounds with a floured biscuit cutter, working neatly from rim to middle so there will be few scraps to reroll. Place biscuits, 1 inch apart, on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake in a preheated very hot oven (450) for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.

13 comments:

Tim and Kristina said...

Michele

Great job!! The breakfast sandwiches look so yummy!! I'll have to try that receipe.

Kris

Aimee said...

You are now my hero. If these biscuits work for me then I'll be indebted to you for life! Mine always turn out terribly!

Gayle said...

Wow! I will drive through MC'Chele's when I get home! Sorry about the Gene's but you have a wonderful personality like your dad and it is a good thing you are like him because you can take alot of his kidding!:)
Love,
Mom

Heather said...

Kaitlyn said" hmmm those look good! " The only bisquit I do good is Pillsbury out of a can.

Katie and the boys said...

Those look really good!!! It looks like something Duane would like. Thanks for sharing!!

Stephanie said...

YUM! Looks beautiful! Maybe this will take the place of the cinnamon rolls - LOL!!!

jennwa said...

Wow, they look great. My family loves biscuits.I will have to try that. Thanks.

Becky Avella said...

I just found you from the WFMW list. Thank you, thank you!!

My grandfather passed away five years ago and he used to be the official family biscuit maker. I've missed Papa's biscuits so much and have been on a quest to find the perfect biscuit recipe. So far mine have been the flat, dry, crumbly discs. I can't wait to give these a try.

: ) Becky

Esther said...

Beautiful job, Michele. :)

This a recipe kids can do, too. My son has been making baking powder biscuits for us for a couple of years, though usually only the drop version since our counter, until recently thanks to the FLYlady, has been cluttered up more often than not.

Anonymous said...

i love a good biscuit and my family loves it when i make sausage gravy and biscuits and i have used this recipe for years until i started shopping at Aldi's last year when the budget got tight and they have awesome buttermilk biscuits for just 99 cents and they bake up perfect every time. so when i'm in a rush i use them, but for weekends where i have the time i go back to my old faithful recipe.

Gettysburg Mom said...

I've been waiting for backwards WFMW to address my biscuit issues, but these look great!! I just can't serve the little hockey pucks to my husband anymore, and it kills me to see my oldest gnawing on a biscuit like a rat... Thanks!!

My Trendy Tykes said...

I will definately save this recipe. I have YET to find the perfect biscuit recipe.

Thanks for posting!

Linda

Char said...

Thanks for stopping by...I didn't know about your blog but checked it out right away...guess what I'm going to try for our Saturday evening "supper"!...Bisquits!! Also I loved the bookshelf widget...added that too.