Thursday, May 28, 2009

Another Project

I was surfing the web on Tuesday and learned of something that I didn't know existed, CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) . You can buy a share of a local garden and you will have fresh produce delivered to your door from June until October! The shares range anywhere from $150-$450. Since I've been trying to watch what I eat lately and it involves lots of fruits and veggies I thought this would be a good plan for me. I then visited my dad and he and my brother informed me that it wasn't too late to plant a garden. I then popped back on the world wide web and decided to build a Square Foot Garden. Nate and I started bright and early at Barnes and Noble to purchase the book, I also bought a copy of Pride and Prejudice to read while I'm watching my garden grow and sipping iced tea! HA! That made me laugh out loud! On a side note, I asked the clerk if they offered teacher discounts to homeschoolers and she very excitedly said they did, I just needed to show proof that we homeschooled. I whipped out my handy dandy HSLDA teacher id, she signed me up and from yesterday onward I will just have to show my teacher discount card and I will receive 20% off my purchase! Back to the garden, we went from the bookstore to Home Depot to purchase a few plants and seeds, then on to the local feed and seed to buy all the ingredients for Mel's mix. The man at the feed and seed knew exactly what I was doing and got me everything I needed! I will let the pictures explain the rest to you because this post is getting way to long for me and I know it's too long for you. If you're like me you don't like the ramblings, just show me the pictures already! So without further ado, my little square foot garden!

~Nate's Mom

Mel's Mix Ingredients

I hope they grow!

Nate learning from Papaw

Mel's Mix in progress

My little garden, I'm so excited to see how it will grow! If I kill it all maybe the CSA will work for me next year! ;o)

We were short one piece of wood for the grid, that will go on today!

My hubby leveled and measured and squared it up with the fence and house! I will paint it the same color as our little barn when I get a chance.

5 comments:

Tamra said...

Nice! Good luck with your green thumb! :)

Aimee said...

YAY! You are doing a square foot garden!!!!!! =) I love mine.

The Dickinsons said...

Sounds great...I wish you the best. =)

Heather said...

I want to do one of those so bad!

Gayle said...

Looks wonderful!