Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Yum Yum!

First of all, sorry about the sub par picture. I need (want) one of these, so I can take pictures like this, but he says wait. So, I save my pennies and wait!

Tamra made these scrumptious Caramel Chip Bars for Homebuilders last month. They were so good I decided to get the recipe and make them for Nate's Homeschool Co-op's Winter Program last night. I would like to share a little conversation I overheard at the reception after the program:

"I don't know what this is but it's good!" This was said loud enough that it caught my attention and I looked over and she had one of my Caramel Chip Bars in her hand.

Her husband then said, louder yet, "I don't know what they are either, but they are WICKED GOOD!"

It did this girl's heart good! I was smiling the rest of the evening. So thank you Tamra for introducing us to the Caramel Chip Bar. We are forever grateful!


Caramel Chip Bars


1/2 cup butter (no substitutes) 32 caramels*
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup vanilla or white chips - My little hometown grocery store did not have vanilla or white chips so I used 2 cups of the Nestle semisweet and white chocolate swirled morsels and omitted the 2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips

1 Heath candy bar (1.4 ounces),chopped


In a large saucepan, combine the butter, caramels and milk; cook and stir over medium-low heat until smooth. Cool. In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, oil and eggs; mix well. Stir in chips and chopped candy bar (dough will be stiff). Press three-fourths into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Place on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Pour caramel mixture over the crust. Drop remaining dough by spoonfuls onto caramel layer. Bake for 25-30 min­utes or until edges are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes; run a knife around edges of pan. Cool 40 minutes longer; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
*Editor's Note: This recipe was test­ed with Hershey caramels.

QUICK COOKING NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2002


~Nate's Mom

2 comments:

Tamra said...

I want that same camera! I have an actual size cut-out (from a magazine ad) of that exact camera sitting here on my desk. Just can't bring myself to pay out that much for one right now.
So glad the bars turned out for you and that they received rave reviews. Your posted photo made me want to salivate. How much longer is Lent???? :)

Trisha said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I am going out and getting the ingredients to make it right now! :) Looks to good to pass up!