Monday, January 28, 2008

Mondays With Mom - Just Some Thoughts

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and a great Sunday worshipping our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ! We had an amazing service at our church last night. A beautiful song sung by one of our dear teenagers, "In the Presence of Jehovah", allowed people to open their hearts toward God. Tears were shed around the altar as people confessed they needed God more than anything! Victorious testimonies were shared with the believers and a peace that no matter what comes our way, we are going through filled our hearts! I was helped and I'm sure many others were as well.

With the Florida primary coming up I thought I would share some links with you as to why I'm voting for Mitt Romney. I've had the question posed to me, "Why aren't you voting for Mike Huckabee?" I know this is a touchy subject and could generate a lot of comments. Just know I moderate my comments and will not allow this to become a "How can you vote for a Mormon, or why you should vote for Huckabee or don't you know Ron Paul is the real conservative out there." discussion. I just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from and maybe enlighten you a bit. Please take 30 min. or an hour or if you are a fast reader 15min. out of your life to become informed. That's what I did, but it was probably more like days sifting through everything and praying about my decision. I'm so glad I live in a country where I can make an informed decision like this. I hope you have spent the time to research your candidate of choice and if he or she has the same values and ideals as you then by all means vote for him or her. You have to vote your conscience and that is what I'm doing. Don't condemn me for my decision and I won't condemn you for yours. Even though I think you are wrong if you're not voting for Romney! :o) Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Evangelicals for Mitt - "Governor Romney Shares Our Political & Moral Values.
Political and moral values are informed by -- but not the same as -- one's religion. That's why we are not casting our votes based on whose theology we like most. History shows that to be a poor approach.
For example, in 1980 voters had two choices: a divorced movie actor who did not regularly attend church and was not on good terms with all of his children, and a once-married Southern Baptist whose evangelicalism was at the core of his national identity. Voting on the basis of whose doctrine was better would have meant electing the second guy -- Jimmy Carter -- over the first, Ronald Reagan. Excluding those who don't hold to orthodox Christianity would also have meant excluding such great Americans as Thomas Jefferson -- who denied the divinity of Christ -- from positions of authority. Is anybody going to argue someone else should have written the Declaration of Independence?"
read more here All the articles on this site are worth reading!

FOCUS ON THE FAMILY'S ASSESSMENT
Interesting take from
TIME:
Christian right leaders are abuzz today because a
new online candidate guide that has been posted by Focus on the Family Action, the political arm of Jim Dobson's conservative Christian empire. The webpage offers edited excerpts of recent webcasts with the Family Research Council's Tony Perkins, explaining where the candidates stand on "pro-family issues." more


Spunky Homeschool- "Is being a Baptists minister a reason NOT to question what a candidate for President stands for? I think not. So I'll ask the question Hurley decided not to ask...Do homeschoolers stand for the same thing as Mike Huckabee? There is no doubt in my mind that on abortion and marriage, Huckabee is rock solid in agreement with most Christian homeschoolers. He values life and has defended our belief that marriage is between a man and woman. But what about another issue that is very important to homeschoolers--education?Let's take a look at Huckabee's record and his policies." more here

From the United States Constitution:

Article. VI. [ Annotations ]
All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any state to the Contrary notwithstanding.
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

There are many more sites I could link here but I think these are two of my favorite sites. I want to leave you with this scenario: Mitt Romney vs. Hillary, are you going to vote for the Southern Baptist (not bashing Southern Baptists, I have a good friend who is a Southern Baptist so don't even go there) or the Conservative, morally upright, family loving Mormon? Just something to ponder.
Until next time (well, maybe after this I won't have any blog readers left),
~Nate's Mom
I'm taking over this blog, watch for changes to come!

6 comments:

Gayle said...

Great Comments Michele!

Tamra said...

Interesting post. I have started reading some of your suggested websites. Just wanting to know a little more about Mitt. I still haven't made up my mind who I'm voting for in the Ohio primary. We'll see!

Tamra said...

Hey, I just found a neat website. It's a quiz that pairs you with the presidential candidate who best represents your beliefs. Check it out. It's pretty cool. www.glassbooth.org

Lavy Country said...

I still love you. :o)

Rob and Deanna said...

Excellent post, Michele! I have forwarded your post to some PA friends & family hoping that we can work on those Penn Viewers & get them voting the BEST.
;-)

Michele said...

Thank you Deanna! I'm already receiveing comments from the PA crowd. So far it's a McCain supporter, but very cordial. I'm up for a little friendly debate.